Neo's RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Neo's RP

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Official Dicking Off Thread

Go down 
+10
Leafy
Astarte
WolfSmasher
Azena
Potterwatcher1997
Seraph
Script-Z
Taegan
kisukeFan_4337
Neo Bahamut
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Robin

The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 8:29 am

Ouch I wish I could have helped you. I would have gladly took a look at it if, you know, I probably wasn't half the country away from wherever you are. There's no way that you can access the files first to back them up to a thumb drive or something before you commit to completely erasing them?

Oh, did you have those games as physical copies then?

I probably shouldn't ask too many questions, since you probably have some difficulty replying to these at the moment!
Back to top Go down
Leafy

Leafy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyTue Jun 30, 2015 7:37 pm

Neo Bahamut wrote:
Computer seems to have died. Don't know when I can get it fixed. Not sure if I can reasonably post from phone. Will update when I know more.
Oh shit, I missed this. Explains a lot of my questions and why you haven't been on Skype to talk to me. I'm here for you if you need me.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Unyielding Force of Thoroughbred Penis
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:17 am

I may need to lay siege to microsoft if you wanna help with that.

Yes, I did have them as physical copies. Big mistake.

I have no way to back up anything that has not already been backed up, because I can't get into safe mode. Plus, for all I know, they may already be gone.
Back to top Go down
https://neon.rpg-board.net
Sir Robin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:32 am

Gah, I know that feeling, I've had to lose a great deal of material before in a hard drive error, so I know all about what that's like. I just hope you get everything back to normal soon.

You might want to purchase say a large capacity flash drive or something in the future so your most important things aren't necessarily tied to your OS hard drive. Think that would help?
Back to top Go down
Astarte

Astarte

Quote : I'm not the necrophiliac Arthur Chase - That's a different Arthur Chase.

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 9:58 am

Neo Bahamut wrote:
Yes, I did have them as physical copies.

Absolutely plebeian.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:27 am

Shit was on sale. Besides, to get something similar on Steam, I'd have to buy each game individually. Their compilation includes movies & the newest game, so it runs over $100.

I am considering a few different options. When trying to create a recovery media, I got a 32 GB USB, so there's that. I could also buy an external hard drive, or try Google Drive.

Thankfully, I'd recently begun backing up LoA as if the apocalypse was coming & could only be averted by queerbaiting.
Back to top Go down
Sir Robin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 10:49 am

You can also look for some affordable SD, CF or MicroSD cards that have a sufficiently high capacity. They might be less expensive than an external hard drive, and might not take up as much space in your closet.
Back to top Go down
Astarte

Astarte

Quote : I'm not the necrophiliac Arthur Chase - That's a different Arthur Chase.

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 12:45 pm

Probably use more than one backup. I only have the one external HD for that, and I just realized that because our last natural predator is digital storage, it will probably fuck me up soon enough too.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 12:30 am

My biggest concerns are price & ease of use. The problem with the USB is that I'd have to manually transfer everything I want to back up. Another problem is, what if I get a virus and it just gets copied to the backup?
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Quote : My dreams are higher than the fucking sky!

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 3:32 am

I once had stuff on a thumb drive. That fell out of my pocket.

And the original files were on my computer. Which shit the bed.
Back to top Go down
Astarte

Astarte

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 5:18 am

You have to manually transfer everything with a USB or a full external HD. I don't know about cloud storage. The virus thing is just a risk you have to take, that happened to a friend of mine. Get a good anti-virus, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Sir Robin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 10:23 am

I'd always scan everything, including backups, periodically with something like Malwarebytes just to make sure that everything was all right.
Back to top Go down
Leafy

Leafy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 6:54 pm

Neo Bahamut wrote:
I may need to lay siege to microsoft if you wanna help with that.
Sounds more interesting than any shit I have to do.
Back to top Go down
Astarte

Astarte

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2015 8:28 pm

I don't know, my pogrom of Windows employees was less interesting than you might expect.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 4:05 am

It's not about fun, it's about what they deserve.

Dad has an external hard drive that backs up automatically.

It seems that no matter what I do, I eventually get a virus, but I don't actually find out until it starts ruining everything months later and can't be removed. But I haven't had any major problems since I began relying on Windows Defender, however it doesn't want to work alongside any other program.

Still waiting on that recovery disk.
Back to top Go down
Sir Robin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 8:42 am

Out of curiosity, do you have any idea what it is that infects your computer? Do you regularly use any sites that may be associated with any sort of danger, or is it a total mystery to you?

Do you remember something I mentioned in the past called a HOSTS file?
Back to top Go down
Astarte

Astarte

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 9:33 am

If you don't already use any sort of AdBlock extension I would advise doing that. I've been told that a lot of banner/pop-up ads can infect you, though I don't know why any anti-virus wouldn't stop that.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 11:20 am

Robin: No idea on any of those.

Astarte: I WAS using AdBlock, though now I'll have to download it again.

If that disc does not get here today, it will be at least Monday until it does, so I'm going to try to download skype on my phone soon, though it will still be a bitch to say anything on it.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2015 1:46 pm

I got the recovery disk, but it didn't work, so we'll be taking it to a shop on Monday. I'm also eating up a shit ton of data, so I'll be using my phone much less until I figure out what setting is supposed to help with that.

EDIT: As promised, I managed to get on my dad's computer to check some things, & will try to post in as many things as possible while I'm here. I will, of course, try to get on again & improve browsing with my phone as well.
Back to top Go down
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Quote : My dreams are higher than the fucking sky!

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 12:39 am

Not having an ass data plan helps.

I do just fine with Skype on my phone. Because the other messenger apps I had shit the bed after a year or so.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:02 am

I took a few measures, set Chrome to compress web pages & am going to try to access my home wifi, so we'll see if that helps.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 3:17 am

Also, everyone post in SU.
Back to top Go down
Sir Robin

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 10:30 am

If you had wanted me to show you a link about using a HOSTS file instead, then let me know. I think I had once before. I'll post in the Kingdom Hearts RP in a moment, and I hope what I throw out on that one works all right.

Out of curiosity, could you turn off image loading? That would help to save a lot of data I'm sure, since text is like...pretty much nothing if you're only loading it from WebPages by comparison.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 1:36 pm

I don't know, but I probably wouldn't anyway. I guess I could take a look.

Edit: Oh yeah, as random didn't-know-where-else-to-put-it news, I discovered that I actually still have a lot of data from the original "Great Wutai War."
Back to top Go down
Leafy

Leafy

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 EmptySat Jul 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Neo Bahamut wrote:
Also, everyone post in SU.
I posted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Dicking Off Thread   The Official Dicking Off Thread - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Official Dicking Off Thread
Page 18 of 22Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next