Neo's RP
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Neo's RP

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Glossary

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Quote : My dreams are higher than the fucking sky!

Glossary Empty
PostSubject: Glossary   Glossary EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 12:22 am

To archive and catalogue all the references to comics present throughout the RP be it titles, characters, or whatever.

"No more Mutants.": The words spoken by Wanda Maximov aka the Scarlet Witch during the climax of "House of M" resulting in over ninety percent of the Earth's Mutant population losing their X-Gene.

Tyranno Boys: Based off of the Mutants from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns" in terms of appearance and mannerisms specifically the slang they use which I honestly have no idea what the hell it means half of the time. They were meant as a parody of angsty teenage characters that Marvel was churning out at the time, specifically the X-Men.

Year One

Year One: Comes from Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One". Batman's origin story which is common knowledge but must be rewritten numerous times. This one is the only one to still be acknowledged as canon except for the slight detail about Selina Kyle being a prostitute and her good buddy Holly being a thirteen year old prostitute. Frank Miller loves him some prostitutes.

Mimiru's inner dialogue during the fight with Duane was lifted word for word from Jim Gordon as he fought Lietenant Detective Flass not quite half way through "Batman: Year One". A corrupt police officer that earlier in the book roughed Gordon up just enough to keep him out of the hospital.

Year Two

Year Two: From Mike Barr's "Batman Year Two: Fear the Reaper". Named Year Two after the success of Batman: Year One, Year Two follows the Dark Knight into his second year as Gotham's main vigilante until the Reaper a vigilante of Gotham's past returns.

The Phantom from the DCAU animated movie, Mask of the Phantasm was based off the Reaper in that they have a similar appearance and a connection to Gotham's underworld whom he cut through its members with a bladed weapon worn on the arm.

Year Two also features Batman working with members of Gotham's underworld to stop the Reaper namely Joe Chill, the man who murdered Bruce Wayne's parents. Batman planned on using Chill's gun to avenge his parents death, but was cut short by the Reaper killing Chill.

Retconned out of mainstream continuity by Zero Hour which removed Joe Chill from the Batman mythos, but after Infinitie Crisis reestablished Joe Chill's position, the canon status of Year Two remains unknown.

The opening inner dialogue is lifted word for word from volume one of Sandman: Mystery Theater.

"This is my country." Taken from Norman Osborne during the Dark Reign storyline in which Osborne is put in a position of power after killing a Skrull queen during Secret Invasion.

Vince 'Vincent' Sage aka Inquiry: Based off of Rorshach and Victor Sage aka the Question (whom the former was based off of) specifically the rampant objectivist as he was portrayed by creator and rampant objectivist Steve Ditko with soke Wesley Dodds aka The Sandman where the opening monologue in Year Two was taken from.

And as pointed out, a line from another monologue was taken from Rorshach.

The Black Mask: Based off of the Black Glove from Grant Morrison's run with the Batman series. They're an international crime orginization with a bone to pick with Batman, especially their leader Dr. Hurt.

Their end goal is more akin to the League of Shadows from Christopher Nolan's "Batman Begins", albeit rather than destroying the city to due its evil or decadence, but merely For The Evuls.

Grenade in the purse: Based on a scene from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns", in which a Mutant dropped a grenade in a woman's purse before pushing her off a stopped subway. The scene was absent in the animated adaptation.

Aeka: Based off of Miho from Frank Miller's "Sin City", although not as prostitute, she's quite sensitive regarding her heritage and not at all the warm, fuzzy type as demomstrated by her cold demeanor, and ease with killing much like the one she's based off.

Watcher: Based off of Barbara Gordon aka Oracle, complete with living in a clocktower.

The weather reporters line about the storm was taken almost word for word from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns". During the night of Batman's return a reporter said "Storm coming, like the wrath of God. About to hit Gotham."

It's a beautiful night. A perfect night. A hunter's night.: Taken from Batman's inner monologue in Frank Milller's "All-Star Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder".

Rob & Don: Those Two Guys from Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight Returns".

The exchange between Inquiry and the mobster is lifted word for word from Greg Rucka's "The Question: Pipeline".

Justice Like Lightning: The tagline for Marvel's Thunderbolts series. The name Lightning Bolts was based off of it although not in the best manner.

Professor Hurt: Based off of Dr. Hurt, the villain from The Black Glove storylines during Grant Morrison's run on Batman. At least in terms of his sense of superiority and belief that he's some kind of all knowing Card Carrying Villain.

His attire was based to some extent on Bane's from both the comics and The Dark Knight Trilogy. The breathing apparatus being the bit from Nolanverse Bane.

Assemble

Assemble: Comes from The Avengers call to action. I had originally thought the cast would form one large team rather than a number of splinter groups, but it is what it is.

The flying, cigar smoking fish: Comes from Grant Morrison's "Seaguy" where the character of Chubby was the titular character's best friend.

The dialogue from the interviewee who stated they were from San Fransisco comes from a random person in "The Dark Knight Returns" although not taken word for word.

The General's "On your feet, soldier. You've just been drafted into a war!" while picking a young boy up by the shirt is taken from Frank Miller's "All-Star Batman & Robin The Boy Wonder" where Batman grabs Dick Grayson age twelve by the shirt and states that same line.

B. Kane 1942 spoken by Jack alludes to Bob Kane who created Batman in 1942.

Billy Baxton was the name of Captain Marvel aka Shazam as of the New 52 reboot.

Raptor's speech was taken almost word for word from the animated adaptation of "The Dark Knight Returns." Went with that version as hitting up IMDB was easier than looking through the book.

Full Quote from IMDB:

Mutant Leader: They call us a gang. They think we just noisy kids. Only when they die by our hands will they know Gotham City belongs to the Mutants!
[crowd cheers]
Mutant Leader: Take the guns, take the bombs. Storm police headquarters, and kill... and kill! Bring me the head of the old man Gordon. I will carry it through the streets. And the Batman who thinks he can mess with us... I will tear him limb from limb!

Raptor's words to Thiera about her not using her powers to kill comes from another Dark Knight Returns quote.

Full quote: "Rubber bullets. Ha! All this metal, and you don't even use it to kill! It's just a shell to keep you safe? What's the matter? Ain't you got the stomach for it? I call you coward! Come out here and face me like a man. I kill you, I eat your heart! Prove you can take me. Prove you can fight with your hands. C'mon, man! You borin' me."

Omitted the part about the rubber bullets (Batman was taking on the Mutants in a Batmobile that's more of a tank than the Nolanverse Batmobile) and replaced steel with power.

War On Crime

Title comes from the graphic novel "Batman: Year One."

Crispus Alec takes one part Crispus Allen (his name) and the rest Harvey Bullock.

Wyatt Wilson known as Deathstrike in the field. Based off of Slade Wilson better known as Deathstroke. Shares the codename of a Marvel villain I had never heard of when I came up with the idea.

Ravager's codename is based off of Ravage, the codename of Slade's daughter Rose.

Miranda "The Wall" Waller is based off of Amanda "The Wall" Waller head off Task Force X aka the Suicide Squad. Only person in the DCU to tell Batman to fuck off and get away with it.

The gates of Arclight Asylum bearing a scarab symbol comes from "Batman: Arkham Asylum," where scarab symbols were present on all the iron works of the asylum.

The name Amadeus Arclight comes from Amadeus Arkham, founder of Arkham Asylum. While Jeremiah Arclight comes from Jeremiah Arkham, the current head of Arkham Asylum.

The Anubis statues, a piece of symbolism comes from images of Anubis being present in the asylum in "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth."

Harvey's nickname "Apollo," comes from the Batman comics where pre-Two-Face Harvey Dent was known as Apollo due to his good looks.

The dead cat being found stapled to Morrison's door comes from "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns," when a news report mentions a dead cat was found stapled to Commissioner Gordon's door.

The carvings in the cell allude to Amadeus Arkham's cell briefly shown in "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On Seriois Earth," and was the answer to a Riddler challenge in "Batman: Arkham Asylum."

Pale Man's line about his skin being sick comes from "Arkham Asylum: A Serious House On serious Earth," where Clayface called out to Batman saying the same thing.

The nursery rhyme being said by the inmate is Solomon Grundy's whole speel.

Pandora Isley & Neil O'Brian are cheap imitations of Pamela Isley aka Poison Ivy & Eel O'Brian aka Plastic Man respectively.

Aaron Stone is based off of Aaron Cash, head security guard of Arkham Asylum who lost a hand to Killer Croc.

The name Creeper comes from a less than mainstream DC hero created by Steve Ditko who is crazy even by the Joker's standards and in this work is based on Scarecrow from the Batman mythos. Creeper's first line "They scream, and they cry. Much as you're doing now," comes from "Batman Begins," the scene being based off of Jonathon Crane giving Carmine Falcone a dose of fear gas.

Ravage gouging out her eye comes from the Family Lost storyline of Geoff Johns run on Teen Titans, when Ravager gouges out her eye.

The codename DC11989 comes from Huntress #1 published by DC in 1989.

Morrison's speech to Tony to get him to phase through a solid object to get a kinetic bomb off of him comes from an episode of "The Flash," season one episode 17 "Tricksters," with all mentions of Barry replaced with Tony. The character Morrison Sells being based off of Harrison Wells.

Azuma's line "I shall become a wolf," comes from the iconic line from Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One," "I shall become a bat."

Last edited by HarleyThomas on Sat May 23, 2015 11:29 pm; edited 34 times in total
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Unyielding Force of Thoroughbred Penis
Neo Bahamut

Glossary Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glossary   Glossary EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 10:07 am

You forgot the reference to Rorschach.
Back to top Go down
https://neon.rpg-board.net
HarleyThomas

HarleyThomas

Quote : My dreams are higher than the fucking sky!

Glossary Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glossary   Glossary EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 6:29 pm

That will happen when the character is fully introduced as he's based off more than just Rorschach.
Back to top Go down
Neo Bahamut
Neo Bahamut

Glossary Empty
PostSubject: Re: Glossary   Glossary EmptyThu Dec 20, 2012 8:53 pm

That line was still Rorschach's.
Back to top Go down
https://neon.rpg-board.net
Sponsored content

Glossary Empty